Friday, May 8, 2015

It Will Be Okay

Someone I love is hurting.  Recent events have left her sad and feeling alone.  I live 6 hours away, so physically seeing her is tough.  April 14th forever changed her life, as it forever changed mine.  That is the day my mother died.

I had the amazing opportunity to preach in church on April 26.  It was Confirmation Sunday, and I decided to preach on Philippians 4:4-8.  "Rejoice in the Lord always.  I will say it again: Rejoice!  Let your gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understand, will guard your minds in Christ Jesus.  Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things."

I had lost my mother nine days before preaching, so I had decided to preach about that.  My husband was a little worried that testifying about the death of my mother on Confirmation Sunday wasn't going to work, but I gave it a shot anyways.

I am 34 and my mother is dead.  She died of cancer at age 57.  She was diagnosed February 28 and died April 14th.  I know that I am not the youngest person to lose a parent, or am I the only person to ever lose a parent.  I am not writing today for sympathy, nor did I preach about it for sympathy.  I decided to preach about it to give a lesson. 

Paul (who wrote this verse while in jail)  was right!  After my mom died I gave over the anxiety, worry, and sadness to God.  I asked for peace and for my family to accept what had happened.  I received peace, it was peace that I could not explain.  I am an emotional person.  I wear my emotions on my sleeve.  I can cry at commercials.  I should be an emotional wreck after losing my mother, but I am at peace.  It goes beyond anything I can understand or try to comprehend.  I am truly okay, and I cherish the memories I have.

Now, someone who I love so much is hurting over this.  I do not have the right words to help her.  I continue to tell her that I love her and miss her and that everything will be okay.  She does not see that right now.  She sees the missed opportunities to visit mom, she remembers stupid fights she had with her, she misses phone calls about work stuff. 

I know that she is grieving in her own way.  I know that she will be okay one day also.  I write this hoping that she will read it and know how much I love her.  That she will be comforted by what has comforted me.  I want her to know that one day the pain will be replaced with happy memories and that one day she will see mom again.  I want her to know that I am here for her.  I want people to say a little prayer asking God to help her through this.  This person I care for so much is an awesome person who has accomplished so much in her life.  I am proud that she is related me and pray for her to be okay.

Dueces

Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.