Tuesday, December 3, 2013

So Much Noise!

I must admit that I am terrible at remembering to blog on a regular basis.  Life gets in the way, it really does.  I have children, a husband, work, and friends.  It makes it hard for me sometimes to remember to slow down and blog.  This time of year there is so much to talk about.  There are so many activities, parties, and emotions.  There is just so much noise!

I understand that Christmas has been commercialized.  I take part in buying my children gifts during the Christmas season.  I help to make retail stores push even more merchandise towards consumers.  I am part of the whole mess.  I also stop though and take time to remind my children the reason for the season, but that is not the reason for blogging today.  See all the shopping, parties, activities, and emotions are just NOISE.

Noise gets in the way of everything we do.  We want to buy a car, everyone has  some sort of noise to get us to not trust ourselves in our decisions.  As students we want to focus on homework, but there are after school activities, friends, and social media all distracting us!  That is all noise.

Noise is the stuff that gets in our way when we want to focus on something else.  I have had so much noise, I have found it difficult to make time to have a clear head and blog.  I have noise get in my way when I need to do some projects, so much in fact that I end up rushing to finish.  I am just as guilty.

Noise also gets in our way when we try to trust God.  Our brains will keep questioning why something happened.  Then as our brains question, we get a range of emotions from sadness to anger to guilt.  That type of noise, keeps us further from trusting God.  It is a hard cycle to break, but we need to break the noise cycle.

The bible tells us in Psalm 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God."  The trick to that scripture is to be still.  To be still means we have clear all the noise out of our heads and hearts.  We have to stop the worrying, stop any anger, stop any sadness, stop the distractions; and we have to trust in God. 

I make a point every day to clear the noise out of my head, even if it is just for a moment.  After that moment, it is easier to reset my priorities and focus on any task at hand (obviously except for blogging!). 

I urge you to push away the noise, find a moment and just breathe.  It will help you to determine what you need to be spending your energies on and assist you in giving some things over to God!

Just be still!

Dueces!

~Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.